Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Eat Healthy While Traveling

This past week, I've been traveling through the mountains of Montana with Trina who, as you know if you read the newsletter, is presenting to various clubs on some key Bay Athletic Club programs.  This trip was absolutely amazing.  The drive through the mountains, meeting so many enthusiastic people in fitness, sharing quality time with my amazing mentor, was all so fun...truly a life-changing experience. 
The beautiful scenery and wonderful people will certainly bring me back to Montana, but there is one thing missing on any amazing trip--food from my own kitchen.  I am such an avid home cook and do miss it when I cannot get in my kitchen, but the wonderful meals and shared experiences certainly make up for it.
Over the years of coaching people with the Corporate Fit Challenge, I've heard that people have a lot of trouble sticking to healthy eating when away from home. I get it. You are out of your routine, it's not always convenient to get healthy foods and sometime the adage, "well, I'm on vacation" allows you to cheat a little more than normal.  However, I didn't want to go home feeling tired, bloated and unhappy with my choices, so I came up with some solutions to stick to my healthy eating plan over this trip.  I'd like to share them with you.
1.  Pack smart.  I created my own energy mix with the recipe from a previous WUYP, click here to see it again.
2.  Fresh fruit travels great!  As long as it has a skin on it, like citrus, apples, bananas and are easy to peel or eat.  Pack them in your carry on.
3.  Raw walnuts and pecans are a hungry travelers bff.  Fill up a small ziplock with your favorite combo of healthy raw nuts.
4.  Be an adventurous eater.  If you don't recognize certain menu items, just ask your server what they are.  If the dish is mostly veggie, you should be good to go. Don't fall back into old habits and order the same old, unhealthy thing.
5.  Drink loads of water.  You are already out of your normal routine, but don't forgo the usual water you should be drinking.  Always have a bottle on hand. Better yet, pack a metal water bottle in your luggage and fill up frequently.

While I was traveling I was looking forward to a fresh, summery salad to come home to and I couldn't get a Caprese salad out of my head, so I headed straight to the grocery store when my flight got in.

Try out my favorite summer salad featuring ripe tomatoes, fruity olive oil, basil and bright apple cider vinegar.  I know most of these salads you've had before feature balsamic vinegar, but I love how the lighter flavor of the apple cider vinegar allows the other ingredients flavors to soar.  My salad was delish and just the perfect way to bring me back home after an absolutely amazing trip out west.

Caprese Salad

Ingredients:
-1 large Heriloom tomato
-1 bunch of fresh basil, torn or sliced into strips
-1 small ball of fresh mozzarella
-1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
-3 TBSP organic apple cider vinegar
-1/4 tsp sea salt
-5 turns of fresh black pepper

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix the salt, pepper, olive oil and vinegar together.  Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into similar size slices.  For the best results, try 1/4 inch diameter slices or thinner and then layer on a plate with alternating slices of tomato and then mozzarella.  Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar mix.  Sprinkle with basil and allow to marinate for a half hour.  Scoop up a serving and enjoy! Serves four.
Kelly Bowlin
Kelly Bowlin
Administration Director & BAC Foodie :) 
Bay Athletic Club
Like me on Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment