Monday, June 24, 2013

Locavores, Venison and Smores

Just kidding about the smores part, but hey, maybe it got your attention. 

Seriously...

For dinner the other day, I created one of the best meals I've ever had rolled up in a wrap.  Many of the elements were either found in the woods, given to me by a friend or purchased at our local farmer's market.  It was a locavore meal!
What's that you might ask?  Locavores are people who find out where their food comes from and commit to eating local food as much as possible.   The great thing about eating local is that it's not an all-or-nothing venture.  Any small step you take helps increase your family's health and supports small farmers in your area.
Take a couple steps toward eating food that is grown closer to home with these tips:
1) Visit a local farmer's market.  Farmer's markets keep small farms in business through direct sales.  Rather than going through a middleman, the farmer takes home nearly all of the money that you hand him or her for a delectable apple or wonderful bunch of grapes.  Check out our local Alpena Farmer's Market every Wednesday and Saturday from 8am to noon.


2) Buy from local vendors.  Can't find locally grown?  How about locally produced?  Many stores and shops have locally produced jam, jellies and breads as well as locally roasted coffee and locally created confections.  While these businesses may not always use strictly local ingredients in their products, by purchasing them you are supporting the local economy.  I can think of 10 different businesses that offer local products.
 

3) Grow your own food.  I can't garden to save my life, but I can grow fresh herbs, recycle green onions for garnish and grow cherry tomatoes on my patio. I'm sure anyone with a window could to that much.  If you have a green thumb and space, plant a garden of food you like to eat.  There is nothing more fun than harvesting your own dinner.
The Locavore Wrap

Here is the wrap I made the other night.  I love it.  I hope you do too!



Ingredients:
-2 servings of venison (harvested in the woods of Presque Isle) or other lean protein you have on hand
-1 garlic clove, chopped
-3 TBSP olive oil
-1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
-2 cups of baby kale, chopped fine (purchased at the Alpena Farmer's Market)
-1 tsp vinegar
-salt and pepper
-1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola
-2 large shallots, sliced thin (given to me by my friend Monica Joy)
-1 cup oyster mushrooms (purchased at the Alpena Farmer's Market)
-3 TBSP chopped chives (from my window sill)
-2 TBSP prepared horseradish or brown mustard
-2 whole wheat wraps

Method: 

In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, oil and Worcestershire sauce and add your protein.  Let it marinate in the cool fridge for 30 minutes to a few hours.  When you are ready to eat, take it out of the fridge and get your other ingredients prepped. Wash and dry the kale, chop finely.  Add to small bowl with the vinegar, salt and pepper and toss a bit.  Set aside.  In a small saute pan, start the shallots on medium low heat and stir frequently to avoid burning.  Add squirts of water to keep from sticking as needed.  When the shallots are looking caramel colored, heat the grill and toss on the venison.  Add the mushrooms to the shallot dish and cook for about five minutes. Take the venison off the grill and chop into chunks.  Heat up your wrap; and layer with the horseradish, gorgonzola, chopped venison, shallots, mushrooms, baby kale and sprinkle with chives.  Wrap it up and enjoy!


Kelly Bowlin
Kelly Bowlin
www.yogakelly.com
Administration Director & BAC Foodie :) 
Bay Athletic Club

Like me on Facebook 

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! My husband loves venison. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I appreciate your reply! I will add more venison recipes over time. I live in Northern Michigan, so needless to say, we eat it frequently being married to a hunter:) Have you ever tried it? It's very lean and healthful.

    ReplyDelete