Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Put the Ranch Down


Excuses and Salad Solutions

I hear many reasons why people don't pack lunches or have time for healthy eating in my role as a fitness and nutrition coach.  I hear you!  It can be hard, but the number one thing you have to do is be prepared.  Go grocery shopping regularly and buy healthy foods.  Sounds pretty simple huh?  Well, it can be, but you do have to take it a step further and actually eat the stuff.
At times our best intentions of eating lots of fresh veggies go south when they sit in our fridge too long.  My solution?  Try combining them in different quick and easy combinations.  Each day for lunch this week I had a new combination of salads that literally took one minute to throw together.  I started with a big container of spring greens, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, strawberries, edamame, fresh herbs and seeds and nuts.
Here are some real salads that I created for lunch this week.
























Monday: spring greens, strawberries, edamame and walnuts
Tuesday: spring greens, edamame, shredded carrots and seeds (pepitas and sesame)
Wednesday: spring greens, tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella, pecans and walnuts (pictured)

Thursday: spring greens, strawberries, chives, mozzarella and walnuts
Friday: tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella

See?  That is five day's worth of salads using the same eight ingredients.  Love it!
Life Gets Real and You don't always have good stuff.
I know! Here's me...the weekend arrived and I hadn't gone to the store yet.  I was starved.  My fresh veggie supply looked pretty dire, until, I got a little creative.  A leftover lemon half, salad greens that were on their way out, pepitas and frozen corn...it was amazing!  Honestly, one of the best salads I've ever made.  I loved it so much, I wanted you to try it too!

 Corn and Fresh Herb Salad

Ingredients:
-3 cups spring greens
-3 TBSP fresh chives
-1/4 cup pepitas
-1 large corn tortilla toasted and diced
-1/4 cup salsa
-1/4 cup frozen corn, defrosted
-1/2 lemon, juiced
-1 tsp siracha sauce (it's so good, but spicy so leave it out if you'd like)

Directions:
While the corn tortilla is toasting in a dry skillet, toss the greens into your salad bowl, sprinkle with the lemon juice and chives.  Add the pepitas, corn, salsa and siracha if using.  Toss gently and then garnish with the chopped tortilla.  Serves one.

Use this basic recipe and toss in some of your favorite foods that you might have on hand like black beans, tomatoes, olives, peppers, broccoli (goes great with spicy foods) or cauliflower.  Explore your palate!
Kelly Bowlin
Kelly Bowlin
Administration Director & BAC Foodie :) 
Bay Athletic Club
Like me on Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment