Monday, May 6, 2013

Coconut, Dark Chocolate and Nut Energy Mix 

Did you know that nearly one third of the world's population depends on coconut to some degree for their food and their economy?  That's incredible!  If you look through Facebook or Pinterest, coconuts in one form or the other, are all the rage here stateside.  I think we Americans have discovered what other cultures have long known, the coconut is highly valuable.  
 
Coconut is a  functional food since all elements of it can be used for some purpose. Coconut also possesses healing properties, is a good source of food and hydration and the oil is used not only to cook with but also as a medicine. Heck, I've even seen posts about people using it as toothpaste!
 
I'm not going there with you, don't worry.  I am encouraging you to purchase some flaked, unsweetened coconut and simply combine it with some nuts and dark chocolate.  It is my new favorite energy mix and I keep it next to my grapefruit in my office :).

 
Coconut, Dark Chocolate and Nut Energy Mix

  •  1 12oz bag of unsweetened flaked coconut (recommended Bob's Red Mill brand)
  • 1 11.5oz bag of 60% cocoa chocolate chips (recommended Ghiradelli brand)
  • 1 cup of raw pecans
  • 1 cup of raw almonds
  • 2 cups of raw walnuts
Toss in a bowl, mix well and keep safe in a re-sealable bag.  Simple, nutritious and delish.  It's high in calories, although the healthy kind, so limit yourself to a handful a day.

I'd love to hear your comments: Kelly@BayAthleticClub.com 
Visit me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Everyday.Entertaining 

No comments:

Post a Comment